Trending: The Leather Necklace

photo courtesy of Sophia Sager

Sophia Sager, Staff Writer

This necklace has been rising as a trendy “must have” leather interchangeable accessory created by big companies, local artists, and even students within schools who are selling them to friends and classmates. Prices can range from what the big brands sell them at (up to $2,000) to what students sell them for (low as $5.) This can be worn as a necklace, bracelet, ring, anklet, and some even make earrings designed with a short leather cord. The charms are interchangeable and it’s and knotted leather band is size-able and style-able.

However, opinions on this trend vary from student to student. The ideas that were voiced go from “I think they’re stupid and overpriced… Not worth what they’re being sold for” to “I love how natural they look and how simple are. But at the same time you’re able to express yourself through them.” Although trending, some students made it obvious that they still view the necklaces as overrated, and don’t wish to follow the trend themselves.

Regardless of negative and positive opinions on the accessory, it continues to trend at South where many bear the cord as necklaces, bracelets, anklets, and more.

How to Make the Necklace

1. Take two cords
  2. Take the end of the left cord and wrap it around the right
  3. Slide the end of the right cord along the main part of the left chord
  4. Wrap the end of the left long the two cords and loop it towards the left, wrapping it around three times.
  5. Push the end of the pink underneath those loops and back out the right chord at the end.