South Implements New “No Drop Off” Policy

image courtesy of Google Images

image courtesy of Google Images

Jake Bancala, Staff Writer

For many students a quick text or quick call is a quick fix for forgotten Chromebooks, lunches, sports equipment and musical instruments. In the past a willing parent or guardian could drop the essential item off to the main office. Not anymore. Beginning this Fall students at Middletown South will not be allowed to have any items dropped off at the school that are not related to a medical need. In a brief interview Principal Rinella responded to our questions to clarify the origin and nature of this new policy.

Eagle Eye:  How and why did this rule come about?

Principal Rinella:  The new policy was implemented this year after much discussion with both building and district level administration.  The most important responsibility of a school is to provide a safe and comfortable learning environment. Secondly, a school must create a learning environment that is focused on maximizing instructional time.  Both of these priorities are compromised by allowing items to be dropped off at the security desk and having students out of class picking up or checking to see if items were dropped off for them.

Eagle Eye: Are there any exceptions to this rule?   

Principal Rinella: The security staff will accept items students need for medical reasons.  However, these items must be delivered to the Health Office.

Eagle Eye: Is there some sort of safety net in place for students without food?

Principal Rinella: Yes, Aramark will serve any student who forgets their lunch.  If the student does not have money in their account, Aramark will serve the student and a negative balance will be applied to their account.  

Eagle Eye: Admittedly responsibility is a paramount lesson. However, given the almost exclusive use of Google Classroom and docs for assignments both in and out of class, is there any safety net in place for exceptional circumstances so students do not miss the entire day’s lessons and activities?

Principal Rinella: Unprepared students will be encouraged to work collaboratively with their fellow classmates.

The Eagle Eye would like to thank Principal Rinella for his time. Keep an eye on the Opinion section, our editorial staff will be reaching out to students for comments while they adjust to being responsible for remembering everything, everyday!