South Students Make a Splash with Streaming

Allison Straub, Feature Editor

It’s Friday night and you’re in the car to visit some relative you barely remember. You go on Snapchat- everyone’s story is about the football game. You go on Twitter- everyone is tweeting how much fun the football game is. You go on Instagram- everyone is posting pictures from the football game. And yet, you’re still in the car being reminded of how much fun the rest of Midd South Nation is having. What if there was a way that you did not have to miss out on Friday nights at the Swamp? Thanks to South’s TV and Film Club, now there is a way. South’s home games will be streamed live online at nfhsnetwork.com.

This website is simple to use. Upon opening the website, you will be prompted to enter the school’s name which will direct you to results including South’s most recent game against SJV. All you need to do is create a free account and then you are able to watch. There will be a season pass available to purchase in order to gain access to the live streams, but one-time views are still unknown at this point.

Here is what we do know. The athletics department saw live streaming as an opportunity for people to watch the South home games who might not be able to make it to the game- sick friends, distant relative, and spirited alumi. Mr. Rinella also saw the opportunity to include South’s TV club in order to incorporate more than just athletes in the sports community at our school. Live streaming will also benefit more students in the future because there are hopes to expand streaming to the arts.

You may be wondering how it is possible to watch the South games live from the comfort of your home. Well, you have South’s TV club to thank. Students from the club man a single camera from on top of the announcer’s box and look to add more cameras in the future for a more universal view. There is a device connected to the camera that after filming is removed, then connected to the computer, and the stream is uploaded to the website.

So next time you find yourself M.I.A during the South game, head to nfhsnetwork.com to join in on the Midd South fun. And be on the lookout for more of South’s students on the live stream in the future.