The student news site of Middletown High School South

The Eagle Eye

• July 16

A “Super” Comeback

Matt McGrath, Sports Editor

On Sunday February 5, 2017, the New England Patriots recovered from a 25 point deficit to defeat the Atlanta Falcons 34-28 in Super Bowl LI. Entering the game as three point favorites according to Las Vegas betting odds, the Patriots surrendered three first half touchdowns and found themselves trailing 21-3 at the halfway point of the game. After surrendering another touchdown early in the third quarter, New England started to find its rhythm following a five yard touchdown pass from Tom Brady to James White. Bill Belichick’s squad, however, still trailed Atlanta 28-9 as the fourth quarter approached. Although such a large deficit had never been overcome in Super Bowl history, football fans knew that if there was anyone that could bring the Patriots back into the competition, it would be Tom Brady.

After a Stephen Gostkowski field goal cut Atlanta’s lead to 28-12, the Patriots stepped up big with consecutive defensive stops. Like he has done so many times throughout his illustrious sixteen year career, Tom Brady put the team on his back, driving the high-power New England offense downfield and tossing a six yard touchdown to Danny Amendola and making the contest a one possession game. Although they were in a comfortable position earlier in the half, the Falcons noticeably lost their momentum towards the end of the game and became increasingly vulnerable to a New England comeback. With less than a minute left in the game, Patriots’ running back James White trudged into the end zone from one yard out, making the score 28-26 in favor of the Falcons. With the game on the line, the Patriots went for a two point conversion to tie the game. Keeping his cool, Tom Brady delivered a laser throw to Amendola who broke the plane of the end zone in order to tie the game at 28 points all.

For the first time in NFL history, the Super Bowl was to be decided by an overtime period. After winning the coin toss, the Patriots elected to receive the ball and quickly advanced down field. With potentially the greatest rally in the history of sporting championships on the line, Tom Brady once again handed the ball off to James White who ended the game with a two yard touchdown run, giving the Patriots an unprecedented 34-28 advantage. With the odds stacked against him on the biggest stage in football, Tom Brady came through in the clutch like he has done so many times in the past to deliver New England its fifth Super Bowl victory in the last sixteen seasons. Before the game, football fanatics pondered whether or not Tom Brady is the greatest quarterback to ever play football. Following his 466 yard performance and miraculous comeback, it should no longer be a debate that Tom Brady is indeed the G.O.A.T.