• May 20Spring Choir Concert

The Eagle Eye

Ball Family Basketball: A Triple Play

image courtesy of Google images

image courtesy of Google images

image courtesy of Google images

Tom Rustici, Staff Writer

Ever since they were young Lonzo, Lamelo and Liangelo Ball had a natural talent for basketball. Both of their parents Lavar and Tina were also athletes in college. Lavar a football and basketball player, and Tina a basketball player. Lavar Ball was confident from the beginning that his kids were going to be big time. He was right. He devised a training plan for them from a very young age that would capitalize on the natural talent he was banking on them having. Ball is a controversial figure, who is known for having a huge mouth and gloating about his sons, is under a lot of scrutiny for some of his statements. For example he claimed that he could beat Michael Jordan(arguably the greatest basketball player to ever live) 1 on 1. He also claimed that his son Lonzo Ball is better than Steph Curry (Golden State Warriors guard). Lavar definitely has a ton of confidence in himself and his kids. The one question most people have is, Will Lavar Ball get in the way of his sons and will his outlandish claims put a target on their backs that will hurt their careers? That remains to be seen.
It seems the Ball boys talent will overshadow their father’s headline making claims. Ball’s two younger sons Liangelo and Lamelo who both play for Chino Hills high school basketball team are already attracting attention from top colleges and the NBA. Chino Hills is where all three played basketball, in 2016 when Lonzo was on the team they finished 35-0, won the California state championship and finished number 1 in the country. Without Lonzo in 2017, Chino Hills finished 30-3, made it to the semifinals of the California state championship, and finished 7th in the nation. Chino Hills runs a offensive scheme similar to the Golden State Warriors of the NBA, running and gunning. Liangelo a senior who will be heading over to UCLA next year, and Lamelo a sophomore who has the potential to be the best out of three, is also a 2019 UCLA commit. Stats like that is how these kids have become famous and positioned themselves on NBA radar. From Lamelo scoring 92 points in a single game this season, to Liangelo scoring 72 in a game and Lonzo being a candidate for the best college basketball player in the nation award. What a year it was for this family, even their dad made headlines with his huge mouth.
While Mr. Ball may be a bit bombastic the fact remains that this family will never have to pay a dime for tuition and have all been on the NBA radar as early as their sophomore year in high school. You have to be proud of that as a parent.