The student news site of Middletown High School South

The Eagle Eye

• July 16

Playa Playa Playa

Maggie Franzreb, Staff Writer

Unexpected spring-like weather, a new Playa Bowl in Red Bank and daylight savings time in one week!
The founders of Playa Bowl, Robert Gluuani and Abby Taylor, are two Jersey Shore natives, who traveled the world surfing and embracing beach cultures. They quickly realized that every town they traveled to had a unique trademark with an acai or pitaya bowl, a combination of freshly cut fruit with granola and a designated topping of choice. Gluuani and Taylor decided to recreate their favorite bowls with their own twist and bring it to the Jersey Shore. With just a table and a blender in front of a Belmar Pizza Shop, the trend blossomed into the shops seen today.
The Pier Village location of Playa Bowls has been the epicenter of beach business for it is commonly visited by teens and families all around Monmouth County. The business has received most of its attention through social media, leaving people who have not tasted the fruit filled bowls dumbfounded over this eatery. Each bowl is made with fresh, colorful fruit that brings a peaceful and healthy vibe. The toppings and assortment of each bowl make them deserving of social media posts. “The fresh taste of Playa Bowls is perfect for a nice and wholesome snack after school or on weekends. I’m glad that there’s such a healthy alternative to the many fast food places,” says South Senior, Ayo Oladeji.
With Playa Bowls’ new location in Red Bank, the popularity of the business has been booming. The travel from Middletown to Pier Village was strenuous for most, making the newest location easily accessible to those who live in Middletown. Bella Hartman, a Middletown South Junior, commented on the new location, “I’m really excited about it! It’s super convenient and it’s at a location that’s not along a beach, or in a town where there’s constant beach traffic, so I think they’re going to make a large profit.” This opinion seems to be widely accepted throughout the school, as many students make their way to the location after the school day.