Sleep more, boost your grades

Brooke Novak, Staff Writer

Many students struggle with being able to get enough zzz’s–here’s how it may be impacting them

Not getting enough sleep is one of the most common mistakes high school students make. It is recommended that young adults get at least eight hours of sleep every night. However, a study conducted by professor Fred Danner, Ph.D.,  at the University of Kentucky, showed that forty-eight percent of students get less than the recommended number of hours. The study also reveals that a lack of sleep not only results in lower grades and GPAs, but also low motivation. It may even have implications for teenagers’ behavior and emotional health.

Sleep is essential for brain development. Students who go to bed later have a hard time waking up in the morning. Therefore, it is harder to focus and function, especially with school’s early start time. New knowledge is integrated into our brain while we sleep, which leads to us becoming overall better students. Creating a sleep schedule can help. So make a plan to go to bed an hour earlier each night and get up at the same time each day so you are able to break bad habits and get the necessary sleep your body, mind, and maybe even report card need. 

Source:

American Academy of Sleep Medicine. “Poor Sleep May Increase Odds Of Emotional, Behavioral Disturbances Including ADHD.” ScienceDaily. ScienceDaily, 10 June 2008. <www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/06/080609071206.htm>.