Goodbye to Daylight Savings

Ella Cascone, Managing Editor

On March 15th, the U.S. Senate voted to make Daylight Saving Time permanent beginning in 2023. This means that Americans would no longer turn their clocks back or forth by an hour. Time would be the same year-round. The Sunshine Protection Act is now waiting to be passed by the House of Representatives, but it is very likely that it will. The idea of Daylight Savings was first proposed in 1966 in order to reduce energy consumption. When the hours of daylight were pushed farther back, people could rely on sunlight for longer, which was especially helpful in the warmer months. However, this idea no longer remains, as most people’s energy consumption is not affected by natural light. In recent years there has been chatter over whether or not daylight savings is useful anymore. I headed to the Middletown South students to see what they thought about this possible change. 

Senior, Olivia Franco says, “I just don’t get it, how can they change something that has been going on for so long.” This sentiment is fairly typical of most students as the change has not been explained clearly to the masses. In response, I tried to explain the situation like this: Daylight Saving Time is the clock we live with from March to November- when it stays light out longer. If this act is passed then this would be our permanent clock. Instead of changing the clocks back in November, it would always stay the same.  

Senior, Kailley Cohen responded confused when asked, “I honestly don’t know what changing the clocks does.” I feel as though the confusion surrounding daylight savings proves how unnecessary it is. Most teenagers don’t understand why they do it and barely know when it is happening. According to Today.com, “Changing our clocks twice a year is a practical hassle for many.” However, younger generations mostly rely on digital clocks or their phones which change automatically, so the switch is practically nonexistent for them. 

However, there are some students who feel more strongly about this possible change. Senior, Andrea Valentino says, “I love Daylight Savings, it’s something to look forward to.” Just like any tradition or ritual, it can be hard to imagine life without it. While our lives may not feel directly impacted by Daylight Saving Time, it is something we have always lived with. It seems as though most students at South do not feel as though the removal of Daylight Saving Time will affect them, so I guess it’s time to keep the clocks!