What South Students Have to Say about School Start Times

Michael Puma, Staff Writer

Everyone hates waking up in the morning, especially when you have to wake up early. But have you ever considered that maybe you are waking too early? Today, Middletown High School South expects you to be at school at 7:25 AM. This early time has raised controversy among parents, students, and teachers. Some argue that this time is too early, while others believe that the start time is beneficial. 

A Google Form was sent out to students and asked them what time they went to bed; if they thought the school’s start time was too early, late, or just right; and if they had any additional comments on the matter. When looking at the many responses received, it became apparent that students feel the start time is too early. 88.2% of students answered saying that the start time was too early, while only 11.8% of students answered saying that the time was just right. “I think if we started later, we would be more productive in school. Everyone I’ve talked to would rather sleep in and leave later in the day,” one student responded. 

The time that students admitted to going to sleep was even more shocking. Sleep times ranged from 10 PM to 1:30 AM, with the average being 11 PM. This is simply not enough sleep for teens. According to Sleepfoundation.org, a healthy amount of sleep for teens should be 8-10 hours per night. If we assume that each student wakes up at 6:30 AM, it becomes evident why so many students want to push back the start time. 

“I hate how early school starts, and I get home from practice at 11 PM, so on average I get to sleep at 12 AM. That only gets me 6 hours of sleep if I’m lucky,” another student detailed.

Students seem to want to go to school later because of their delayed sleep times which would make them sleepier later in the day. Should the school start time change? The students say, “Yes!”