Girls’ Swim Breaks Records

Courtney Lepine, Opinion Editor

Congratulations to the girls swim team for placing 2nd at the Monmouth County Swimming Championships and for being undefeated so far this season! Annemarie Schnoor won the 50 freestyle and the 100 freestyle, breaking the school records in both events. Schnoor was also voted as the MVP for the meet. Katherine Scott broke the school record in the 100 butterfly, which was established in 1983. McKenna Johnson, Caroline Monaghan, Katherine Scott, and Annemarie Schnoor also broke the school record in the 200 Medley Relay. Taylor Marjamaa, Maddi Piasecki, Phoebe Gartside, McKenna Johnson, Marirose Fitzpatrick, Caroline Monaghan, Sidney Marjamaa, Skylar Shafritz, Amanda Giannattasio and Jessica Mazza all placed in their events. Annemarie Schnoor, Maddi Piasecki, Marirose Fitzpatrick, and Katherine Scott continued the historic season by breaking the twenty-two year old record for the 200 freestyle relay on January 12th. Annemarie Schnoor said, “I knew that we had a lot of talent in the upcoming freshman class and we had key swimmers returning, so going into the season I was excited for not only my individual goals, but the team in its entirety. I couldn’t be more proud of how everyone’s been swimming and all the records we’re breaking, and I’m excited to see how we finish. Our biggest influence in our success is probably D [Mrs. Skinner], because she loves this team more than anything and gives us the confidence and motivation to reach our full potential.” Middletown South congratulates the team on their success so far and wishes them good luck in the rest of their season!