Tie Game Leads to Mayor’s Cup Victory

Maia Franco, Co-Editor in Chief


On February 6, the Middletown South hockey team rematched North for the Mayor’s cup, after beating them 3-2 in the first game of the season on November 28. Mayor Stephanie Murray dropped the ceremonial puck after the senior night honors were presented, and the first period commenced. After Middletown North’s Anthony Tavares and Justin Skelly each scored in the first four minutes, South captain Mike Racioppi quickly retaliated and scored at 11:09 and 4:54, with two assists from Deven Ralph and one from captain Nick Lioudakis. The first period finished 2-3, as North’s John Hallard scored with 1:29 left. The second period had one goal from each team, and a total of twelve penalties. Six of these penalties occured at the 4:02 mark, after a fight including nearly every player on the ice. Three players from Middletown North served two minute roughing penalties, while South received three penalties to be served by two players. The second period ended 3-4 after goals from Nick Lioudakis, assisted by Mike Racioppi and Deven Ralph, and North senior Justin Skelly, assisted by John Hallard and Brad Heuer. South tied the game to 4-4 in the third period, with another goal from Nick Lioudakis at 3:21, assisted by Mike Racioppi. By the end of the game, South’s goalie Clay Simonsen and North’s goalie Jake Frontera had each made twenty-nine saves. “Although we tied, it was a hard fought game,” said Simonsen, “we played well, they played well, and it was two strong teams that played a strong game.” With the same amount of goals and shots, and each team having eight penalties, this has to have been the most even game in all seventeen years of the Mayor’s Cup. The tie may not have been ideal, but South still takes the trophy this year. “It was a high energy charged atmosphere and I was proud of our team that we were able to come back from two down twice,” said Coach Rosenbloom, “The game gave us good momentum to head into the Shore Conference.”