The Eagle Eye

The Producers!

image courtesy of Google images

image courtesy of Google images

image courtesy of Google images

Matthew King, Staff Writer

The Middletown South spring musical is quickly approaching, and resident musical director, Steven Koumoulis, is excited to present The Producers. Being one of the most challenging musicals performed at South, there is an air of excitement surrounding the production.
The plot of, The Producers, revolves around a failed Broadway producer Max Bialystock and his accountant Leo Bloom who set out to produce the biggest flop in Broadway history to make a quick two million dollars. Originally written by famous American comedian, Mel Brooks, and adapted with the help of American playwright, Thomas Meehan, the musical is undoubtedly well written and full of witty and biting commentary that, in true Mel Brooks fashion, will … well … as Koumoulis puts it, “I think the audiences should swear off of liquids for at least three hours prior. When they leap to their feet we don’t want them slipping on messes people made from peeing their pants.”
While the performance sounds fantastic already, the final product did not come without its challenges. With a run time of approximately two and a half hours, the performance takes an inordinate amount of practice and preparation. Koumoulis is confident in the capabilities of South’s own to complete the production. “We have been working since December,” Koumoulis explains. “Dance was the first task we tackled. I think if we had more time we would be over-rehearsed and therefore not as sharp as we are. I think this is the perfect moment to perform. This show is a very challenging piece, but is also very rewarding. It is the next logical step for our program.”
The ever-evolving theater department has been tackling more and more complex shows the past few years. One of the most notable of these is last year’s production of American Idiot, which was widely adored and drew a lot of attention, even winning awards at the Basie’s. The most astounding feature of that musical was the subject matter the theater department was allowed to explore; it was a welcome change that spoke volumes to the progressiveness of the department and the maturity and talents of its cast and crew. Students, parents, and staff were all intrigued by the darker nature of American Idiots subject matter and it will be interesting to see what comes in future productions.
That future production is now The Producers, and with the path for mature content paved by its predecessor, it comes in hot with some borderline inappropriate comedy gold. Appropriateness is very subjective and what is important to remember is that at its heart, The Producers, is a Mel Brooks piece. “Mel Brooks challenges us to laugh at life, even when it is not appropriate.” – Steven Koumoulis
Tickets are already on sale so get them while they are still available. An immense amount of work has gone into this musical and it looks like it’s all going to pay off. Do not forget to use restrooms before the performance and leave all your preconceived notions of a conventional Broadway show behind at, The Producers.
“I love this show and I am sure you will too!”